Monday, October 4, 2010

Current Events Week 6: Question of the Week


This article was from Athens, Greece. It is about truck drivers protesting about a new law liberalizing their profession. Truckers have been arguing that the tax and other benefits offered by the government have been giving them a loss in the value of their licenses. This happened after a law was passed about their profession turning into competition. Since the truck drivers are so fed up with this law, trucks have been parked along the streets for quite some time now, and it has been causing food, medicine, and other product shortages. Some of the people included in the article agree with the truck drivers because they say that the truck drivers have the right to fight for their own rights. 

My opinion on this article is very strong. I agree with this because I also agree that the truck drivers should be able to fight for their own rights. I mean it is their jobs! I do disagree because it is causing problems for many other people also. They are causing problems in other job categories too. I like this article because it includes opinions from others. And this is my opinion on this article. 


Here is the link to where I got my article from: http://www.athensnews.gr/articles/13410/03/10/2010/30936

Here is the picture that went along with the article of the trucks parked along the streets:


1 comment:

  1. One of the main reasons that protests are so successful is that we don't realize how interconnected we are until something like this happens.

    ReplyDelete